FAQ: What is “Progressive Work Experience” in the EB-2 NIW context?

For many people with a bachelor’s degree and dreams of becoming a US permanent resident through the EB-2 category, there is a pestering question about what “progressive work experience” is in the EB-2 National Interest Waiver context.

Even if you do not have an advanced degree, you may wonder whether you have a path to US permanent residence through the EB-2 subcategory for advanced degree professionals. You may be right to wonder this, considering that having a bachelor’s degree and five years of progressive work experience is equivalent to having an advanced degree.

Next, you may wonder what exactly is progressive work experience? The phrase is not defined by a regulation nor by a statute. So, what is it? Well, we’ll answer that question in this blog post.

This fellow (Auguste Rodin’s “The Thinker”) no longer needs to wonder about what “progressive work experience” means.

Before we launch into a definition, it’s important to note that we won’t provide all little rules that, in close-call cases, define “progressive work experience.”

Now, with that out of the way, the plain meaning of “progressive work experience” in EB-2 adjudications is relatively simple: it is post-baccalaureate employment experience that reveals progress, moves forward, and advances toward increasingly complex or responsible duties. You demonstrate progressive work experience by showing advancing levels of responsibility and knowledge in your specialty.

Want to know if your work experience is enough for the EB-2 category? Contact us now.