Tell Immigration Officials You Have Changed Your Address

Last updated on Jul 1st, 2017

It is important to tell the government if and when you change your address. However, some people view this requirement as something that does not need to be strictly complied with. Perhaps the law requires an address change, but there are a lot of things the law “requires,” the thought process goes.

This thought process sometimes results in unfortunate consequences. Sometimes, a failure to properly make an address change leads to the denial of some request for an immigration benefit, to the revocation of some discretionary action (like a supervised release), or to an executed removal order.

Obviously, changing your address helps you ensure you receive communications from the government and that you receive them without delay. Less obvious, habitually and promptly providing address changes to the government helps you avoid worrying in the future, maybe years down the line, whether the government sent something crucial to your old address.

It is worth it to promptly notify US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), the Department of State (DOS), the Department of Labor–or whatever the relevant agency is–of any change in your address.

But, how do you report the change of address? Here is how you inform USCIS and EOIR of your address change:


How to Report a Change of Address
One way to report the change of address with USCIS is to do so here, online.

Who Should Report a Change of Address?
All applicants, petitioners, and beneficiaries are required by law to report a change of address to USCIS.

Time to Report
Within 10 days of the address change.


EOIR (not including people with cases pending before the BIA)

How to Report a Change of Address
By mail: submit Form EOIR-33/IC.1

Who Should Report a Change of Address?
Individuals with a case pending before immigration court or the BIA are required to report a change to EOIR.

Time to Report
Within 5 working days of the change.


  1. Government counsel must receive copies of the change of address to satisfy proof of notice requirements.

About FINTUS Immigration

Fintus Immigration is a U.S. law firm focused on accomplishing immigration goals of businesses, non-profit organizations, individuals, and families.

Other Useful Posts

About Us

We’re an immigration law firm at your fingertips. We’re a team of immigration experts that advises, represents, and generally fights for clients–allowing them to sleep at night without wondering if they are doing the right things. We serve clients around the globe, from China to Colombia, Ghana to Jamaica, Nigeria to Peru.

FINTUS and the Community

We give 10% of our earnings to international charities that empower children.

Contact Us